What is Mathematics Mastery?
Mathematics Mastery is a non-profit organisation.
This year, Blair Peach Primary is a ‘Mathematics Mastery Partner School‘ and is working very closely with the organisation to deliver high-quality maths lessons in Year 1 and Reception classes.
All children take part in their daily mathematics lesson and an additional daily ‘Maths Meeting‘ (10-15 mins).
Year 1 lessons follow a six-part lesson structure; this provides pace to lessons as well as opportunities for feedback and assessment. When moving between their tables and the carpet, children participate in ‘transitions’ (30 seconds) practising key number facts – not a second is wasted!
Great emphasis is placed on reasoning and problem-solving. Children are expected to explain their mathematical thinking using appropriate language throughout the lesson. Children are encouraged to apply their increasing mathematical knowledge at all stages of the lesson.
A starting point to finding out more about the organisation itself is to visit their own website at www.mathematicsmastery.org
Key Aspects of MASTERY
- Growth Mindset … everyone can succeed!
- Fewer topics … but in greater depth
- Use of the CPA approach: concrete (physical objects) and pictorial resources to support more abstract concepts
- Reasoning and problem-solving at the heart of learning
- Opportunities to talk about the maths involved with explanations using precise mathematical language
- Children demonstrate mastery by successfully applying their learning to different contexts
Much more information is to follow on Mathematics Mastery; please visit this page regularly for frequent updates.
Thank you to all the parents who attended today’s workshop (18.10.17: ‘An Introduction to Mathematics Mastery for Year 1 Parents’). A copy of the slideshow presentation will be added to this page as soon as all parents have returned their permission slips regarding the use and sharing of video and photographs.
Next Parent Workshop: This will be a re-run of the session ‘Introduction to Mathematics Mastery for Year 1 Parents’ for any parents who were not able to attend the original presentation. Date and time to be confirmed shorty.